After finishing my wooden Enigma stepping mechanism in 2020, I started working on building a fully functioning electro-mechanical system with hand-turned rotors, interoperable with original Enigma machines.
After nearly two years, I’ve finally finished! I’m going to do a longer post going into more detail on the construction, but first I wanted to share some photos. Some people have asked for a copy of the plans used to cut out the parts on the laser cutter, so I’m sharing them here.
I have a twitter thread logging the work-in-progress here:
And another about the finished machine:
A video of the latest version in action: